Stuff People Ask Us Allll the Time.
Are your candles vegan?
Yes, yes, and yes.
Are your products cruelty free?
Absolutely. We never test our products on animals.
Do your candles contain paraffin?
Nope. Never. Clean ingredients only, baby.
Are your candles safe for pets?
At KAIYA, we designed our products with safety in mind and they are formulated to be broadly safe to be used around pets. We use lab-formulated fragrance oils as opposed to essential oils. Fragrance oils are safe to burn around pets (and are better for the environment!). That said, we know that smaller animals can experience extra sensitivity to fragrances, so we recommend taking this into account. Burning your candles in accordance with the warning label is always the safest way to go. As always, candles should be kept out of reach of pets and children. If you still have concerns, we recommend reaching out to your veterinarian.
Why do you use fragrance oils instead of essential oils?
Fragrance oils are made in a lab and formulated to be safe to burn around pets, unlike essential oils which are generally not safe to be burned around pets. They also have a much smaller environmental impact than essential oils. According to Earth Island Journal, it takes over 10,000 pounds of rose petals to make just a single pound of rose essential oil. [Additionally, extracting the oils is often a high energy-consuming process, transporting the raw materials burns lots of fossil fuels, and mass amounts of pesticides are introduced into the environment to make them.]
Are your products environmentally friendly?
Yep. Here’s a few of the things we do to keep our impact smaller:
- Our proprietary coconut wax blend burns clean with waaay less environmental impact than soy wax
- Biodegradable Refill Pouches so you can reuse your empty candle vessels
- Dust covers made from plantable seed paper
- Packing peanuts that dissolve in water
- Recyclable packaging
- Option to purchase candles without the box (coming soon)
Where is your wax sourced from? Your packaging?
All of our candles are hand-poured in Los Angeles. Our packaging is made in Asia under carefully vetted and ethical labor practices, but we’re hoping to manufacture in the US in the future. Our wax is manufactured in the US and we source all of our wax ethically.
How long does shipping take?
You can expect your order to arrive within 5 - 8 business days. Processing of the order takes about 3 days and shipping takes about 5. We work hard to get each order out ASAP, but please keep in mind that we’re a small business and each candle is hand-poured with a lot of love and attention to detail.
If you placed a color- swap order, those candles are bespoke and therefore take a little longer. You can expect those orders to arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Do you ship outside of the US?
Not for now, but we hope to down the line.
Do you accept returns?
We accept returns if your candles are completely unused and the packaging isn’t damaged. As of now, we’re unable to accept returns in any other condition. If you need help with this, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do the seed dust covers work?
You need answers, we have instructions.
First you want to stick your dust cover into an airtight ziplock bag — sandwich-size is perfect. Put about 1 tbsp of water in there, just enough to fully saturate the dust cover. Seal the bag with enough air inside so the sides of the bag don’t touch. Keep it in a place that gets a few hours of sun each day and has an ambient temperature of at least 72 degrees.
Within 10 days you’ll see the dust cover start to sprout. Pause to marvel at the miracle of life (optional). Wait a bit longer until you see the sprouts’ roots start to reach for soil, then move your seed paper to the soil you’d like to plant it in. This can be your empty candle vessel (once you’ve removed all of the wax and filled with dirt), a terracotta pot, a garden, or anywhere with enough dirt to grow something. Top with a light coat of soil and water daily. So easy your little sister could do it.
How do I use the refill pouches?
1. Remove the wick and popsicle stick from the bag and set aside.
2. Peel the protective film from the bottom of the wick and stick it in the center of your candle vessel.
3. Double-check that there is only wax left in the bag and stick it in the microwave. Blast it for 1 minute and stir.
4. Continue microwaving the wax in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the wax is completely melted.
5. Pour the wax into the vessel immediately.
6. Keep the wick centered by threading it through the hole in the popsicle stick. Leave the stick balanced on the jar.
7. Walk away for the next 4 - 6 hours while the wax hardens. Congrats— the hard part’s over.
8. Once the wax is solid, trim the wick to 1/4 inches.
9. Store your candle in a cool, dry place for the next 72 hours so it can cure.
10. Once it’s cured, you’re all done. Light and enjoy!
Why coconut wax blend?
We chose our coconut wax blend because it holds the best scent and has the least environmental impact. Our blend burns clean, unlike paraffin which is made of refined gasoline (ew). Pure soy wax burns clean, but contributes to deforestation and doesn’t smell as strong when burned. Coconut is the best of both worlds *cue Hannah Montana theme song*